Thumbnail for article 20121112-0901


12-Nov 09:01, by Ketts

Back-to-back wins for the Addicks for the first time this season at Ashton Gate on Sunday.

The teams were led on to the field by members of the Tank Regiment at Ashton Gate. Football grounds are normally lively, vibrant places and there is somehow an added poignancy when they fall silent on occasions like Remembrance Sunday.

Thereafter, the 1000 plus travelling Charlton fans kept up a non-stop wall of noise as their team delivered as comprehensive a display as they will all season.

Danny Seaborne came in at left-back and made an immediate impact, organising and talking to his team mates. Seaborne is more commonly used as a centre-back and when Dervite and Taylor entered the fray as late subs, the Addicks had five natural central defenders on the pitch.

Chris Powell went for an attacking 4-4-2 shape, with the pacy Danny Haynes partnering Rob Hulse up front.

Dale Stephens pulled the midfield strings all afternoon and such was Charlton's dominance, that it was first half stoppage time before Bristol City won their first corner.

Sam Baldock, high on Charlton's wish list during the summer, flattered to deceive on several occasions. Matthew Briggs, rumoured as being wanted by Powell to cover during Rhoys Wiggins' injury absence, had a torrid afternoon trying to cope with the threat of Pritchard and Solly.

The Addicks went ahead after 20 minutes when Dale Stephens latched on to a ball on the edge of the area and fired a shot against the inside of Tom Heaton's right-hand post. The ball rebounded, hit the other post and Danny Haynes was on hand to slot it home.

The game was effectively ended as a contest 12 after the break. A superb chip on the run by Stephens had Heaton scrambling to turn it over. City never really cleared the resulting corner and when Salim Kerkar played the ball back into the danger zone, a defensive slip gave Michael Morrison the opportunity to slip the ball under the keeper. A striker would have been proud of the composure Morrison showed.

The Addicks oozed confidence and though Solly was called upon to deal with one scramble near the line, the visitors saw the game out comfortably. Conversely, the Robins - who have now lost seven successive games - looked drained of confidence and were a dispirited team by the time the final whistle blew.

Charlton: Hamer; Solly, Cort, Morrison, Seaborne; Pritchard, Stephens, Jackson, Kerkar (Taylor 90); Hulse (Fuller 86), Haynes (Dervite 78).

Subs (not used): Button, Hollands, Green, Wright-Phillips.

Goals: Haynes 20, Morrison 57.

Bristol City: Heaton; Foster, Fontaine, Wilson, Briggs; Adomah, Elliott, Kilkenny (Pearson 70), Woolford; Taylor (Stead 57), Baldock (Davies 57).

Subs (not used): Gerken, Carey, Bryan, Anderson.

Referee: Phil Gibbs (West Midlands).

Attn: 13,009 (1,017 Charlton).

The Doctor Kish Man of the Match was Dale Stephens, controlled the match all afternoon.


have your say   |   back to article list   |   [Hit count for this article: 1352]