Thumbnail for article 20171129-0135


29-Nov 01:35, by Ketts

Charlton scored two stoppage time goals to snatch a point at The Valley on Tuesday evening.

A late, late show rescued a point for the Addicks against Peterborough at a bitterly cold Valley on Tuesday evening.

Trailing 2-0 and heading for certain defeat, a Ricky Holmes penalty and a Karlan Ahearne-Grant strike stood the game on its head.

And Charlton came desperately close to winning the game. Jay Dasilva's driven low cross just needed a touch to turn it home.‎

The Addicks managed to keep the signing of Leon Best quiet overnight; they finally released the news at 5.30pm.

Chris Solly missed the game, with Ezri Konsa deputising. Naby Sarr partnered Patrick Bauer in the middle, and Dasilva reverted to left-back.

Josh ‎Magennis played on the left of the advanced midfield trio, with Best making his debut up front.

There was more injury woe for Karl Robinson in the second half when Bauer - skipper for the night - limped off with a serious looking leg injury.‎

There was early drama at both ends. A blistering Ricky Holmes shot looked destined for the top corner until it was incredibly headed off the line by Anthony Grant.
A Bauer slip ‎freed  Jack Marriott to run free with just Ben Amos to beat. Amos outwitted him to keep the scores level,  but Charlton's respite was short lived.

After 11 minutes, Marcus Maddison's free-kick from the left was prodded home by Gwion Edwards to give Posh the lead.

Jonathon Bond produced a stunning double save from Magennis and Jake Forster-Caskey after 19 minutes to preserve Peterborough's advntage.

Forster-Caskey went close with an overhead kick before the interval.

The Addicks had a disastrous start to the second period. Patrick Bauer limped off with a leg injury after 52 minutes, then six minutes later, Posh doubled their advantage.

A cross from the right was touched home by Marriott to give the visitors a 2-0 lead.

‎Charlton lost their normal rhythm and became disjointed. But even when this group are not playing well, they never lose their spirit.

They were given the merest glimmer of hope in stoppage time when John Brooks pointed to the spot after Forster-Caskey was clumsily bundled over in the box.‎

Holmes stepped forward to slam the ball into the roof of the net.

And incred‎ibly the Addicks levelled things up four minutes into added time. Sarr nodded down Holmes' right-wing cross and Ahearne-Grant slammed the ball home.

Cue delirium in the stands and a Mourinho-esque sprint down the touchline by Robinson.

Charlton could even have won it. Dasilva's hard low cross only needed a touch, but it was not to be, and the teams had to settle for a point apiece.‎

Robinson will be disappointed with his team's performance, but will be thrilled with their never-say-die spirit.‎

‎Charlton: ‎Amos; Konsa, Bauer (Dijksteel 52), Sarr, Dasilva; Kashi (Aribo 71), Forster-Caskey, Marshall, Holmes, Magennis; Best (Ahearne-Grant 71).‎
Subs (not used): Phillips, Jackson, Dodoo, Hackett-Fairchild.‎

Goals: Holmes 90 (pen), Ahearne-Grant 90.

Peterborough: Bond; Penny, Taylor, Tafazolli, Hughes; Edwards, Grant, Da Silva Lopes, Maddison (Doughty 90); Marriott (Miller 90), Forrester.

Subs (not used): O’Malley, Baldwin, Lloyd, Anderson, Freestone.‎

Goals: Edwards 11, Marriott 58.‎

‎Booked: ‎Penny 56 (foul), Grant 90 (time wasting)‎.‎

Referee: John Brooks (Leicestershire).‎

‎Attn:‎ ‎9,532 (453 Peterborough).‎


have your say   |   back to article list   |   [Hit count for this article: 1266]